Saturday, October 13, 2012

slumber party with the parents

So, last night I had the opportunity that probably MOST 29 year old married women do not have the joy of experiencing....I had a sleepover - in my parents room - with both of my parents. Yep. We watched an awesome documentary called God Grew Tired of Us, ate sushi and just had a blast! Justin and Gracie were in Utah for the weekend and mom insisted that I stay with them, in their room, so they could take care of me while on bedrest (I have awesome parents!) 

Earlier this year, Justin signed up to run in the Tough Mudder mud race/run in Tooele, UT. 
Tough Mudder = INTENSE obstacle laden mud run!! 12 miles with around 25 British Special force-type obstacles. INSANE!!  We (Justin, Gracie and I) were planning on going down to Utah together for the event until bedrest orders were given earlier this week. Justin debated whether or not he should go....I told him I would support him either way. The last thing I wanted was for my bedrest situation to hold him back and honestly, I would be taken care of at home should he go. But I know he was torn -- knowing that he would kick himself if something were to happen to me and he was gone (I was FAIRLY confident nothing would happen to me....it would just be another uneventful day of me laying around!). Well, he decided to go in the end. I think he was excited to go down and see his Utah friends whom he hadn't seen in a long time and excited (in a weird sort of way) to run in the race. 

So, last night, Justin took Gracie along with Johnny, Whitney and Sterling and headed down to Utah. Last night they stayed at Kam & Janzyn Savages home and this morning they got up to run at 8:20am. Gracie spent the day bonding with Aunt Whitney and cousin Lexi. She seemed to have a good day! 





The boys all did amazing! Justin was a champion. His legs started cramping at mile 6 but he pushed on through until mile 11 where he physically could not move anymore (some volunteers pulled him to the side and tried to break through his calf cramps for 10 minutes to no avail :( He was pretty bummed but HONESTLY, the night before the race, it was scheduled to be only 10 miles and then the event coordinators changed it to 12 miles. So, really he went even further than he had planned on since he signed up for the race! I'm super proud of him and glad he can sign that one off his bucket list! 
The boys are on their way home right now, but here are some pics (courtesy of Lexi Adams) that she posted to Facebook. Looks intense, right?! Wish I could have been there to see it first hand!

And the madness begins!!!
Justin exiting the "Arctic Enema".....a big pool filled with ICE and a little bit of water! 
Johnny and Sterling in one of the many mud filled obstacles!
He looks so HAPPY (or cold!) 
One of the Electro-Shock-Therapy obstacles....apparently this obstacle had NOT been working very well (or strongly, should I say) for a while. I guess right as Justin was going through it, the event people got a couple of new generators hooked up to it and it went on FULL BLAST! Poor guys! Those little wires just shock you (10,000 volts) and the guys said it just knocks you to the ground like a hammer! WHOA!
Sterling and Cees trying to NOT get shocked!
Sterling trying his luck at getting up the muddy, wet and greased half pipe
DONE! What a bunch of BEASTS! 
Brothers from another mother -- so glad these two met in Iowa!! 
Gosh, he's handsome! So proud of you Justin Dean!

And as for this little one -- isn't she CUTE??? She is wearing the same jacket mom sewed for me when I was Gracie's age! It's probably one of my favorite jackets ever! 



No comments: