Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Frustrations with the "East Side"

November 10, 2006

As I find myself pondering the state (economical, political, social, etc.) that we find ourselves in as a global society, as a nation, as members of the Church, as individuals striving for what we feel is the betterment of society as a whole, I find myself narrowing down my frustrations to the grass roots of what I feel is ignorance in it's worst light. By ignorance I regretablly refer to the many members of the Church who think that life is a "certain" way. After discussing this last night with a good friend, I came to realize that unless we begin to really study the issues (economical, political, social, religious) we will continue to find ourself in an endless cycle of apathy and mediocrity. I, myself, am not perfect. Nor do I claim to know everything. However, I do recognize an incredible need for us to step it up a notch (as members of the Church especially) and really come to a conclusion of how we will fight the apathetical approach to "living the Gospel" Here's what was said:

FRIEND - They (many members of the Church) think that life is this "certain" way. It's okay to drive SUVs because we have these overproduced families. It's okay to build monstrous houses. They think in all aspects that consumption is fine, and that they are right - everyone on the east side is always right. They could care less about education - why read? why understand the issues? I have a big house therefore I am saved.

ME: touche, well said. Those are some of my big frustrations as well...the ever increasing ignorance most of all.

FRIEND: They could care less, and that's fine because "being members" makes up for all other flaws.ME: I think alot of it has to do with having all of the zeal without knowledge... knowledge of the implications, the consequences of actions, etc.. (Just as Hugh Nibley put it -- In this 1975 BYU address, Nibley denounced Mormon culture for rewarding "zeal alone, zeal without knowledge - for sitting in endless meetings, for dedicated conformity and unlimited capacity for suffering boredom. We think it more commendable to get up at 5 AM to write a bad book than to get up at 9 o'clock to write a good one - that is pure zeal that tends to breed a race of insufferable, self-righteous prigs and barren minds. One has only to consider the present outpouring of 'inspirational' books in the church that bring little new in the way of knowledge; truisms and platitudes, kitsch, and cliches have become our everyday diet." )

FRIEND: For sure, it's challenging to not relate that to a distancing from them (those certain members), when in reality they are good people and they can add to our lives especially within the context of the gospel.

ME: of course! that's why I think it's a good thing that I'm "friends" with those people...because if it wasn't for those relationships that we do have, then it would be soo easy and justifying to distance yourself...(that's why it's a good thing you're my friend pal...the whole political view difference thing doesn't really matter!!) -- But, it's interesting how the natural man creeps out in you (in me at least) and we set these roles or castes for ourselves in so many different aspects of our lives...religous, political, economical, when in all reality if we just tried to live equally and for the betterment of mankind as a whole, we could avoid many unnecessary problems..say I!

FRIEND: Correct, it's funny to speak of all this and think that we have it all figured out, when so many people can't or don't want to. and when I have for sure have a lot to learn.

ME: I echo that last statement - i'm the first to admit that i know soo little!!

Something to think about.

No comments: