Tuesday, May 24, 2011

slowing down

Becoming a mother has forced me to learn how to slow down. I admit, I still haven't found the perfect balance....and who knows if I ever will. I've always given myself plenty of tasks on my daily to-do list, which typically results in unnecessary stress to deal with. These last few months have been no-exception. Between trying to get a few hours of work in for my dad each day, taking care of lawn-mowing billing, keeping up with Arlene's Kitchen, staying on top of my callings (which I no longer have due to the recent changes in our stake and ward...we'll see what callings this new ward will present), remodeling a house, nurturing my little peanut, and finding plenty of other things I "need" to do (or ought to be doing!) I find myself frustrated with "never getting anything done!" or never having time to do anything!  This frustration spills over into other aspects of my life that don't need to be frustrated!

I had a special moment this afternoon as I came home from work with Gracie and she just wanted to be cuddled. I feel guilty for initially being frustrated that this little 11 month old couldn't console herself with her toys on the floor while I got the dishes done and the kitchen swept. As I picked her up and she lovingly nuzzled into my neck and grabbed my fingers to hold, I was quickly brought back to the real meaning of what it means to be a mother to this little one. As we walked around the living room, "talking" to each other and tickling her back, I remembered how good it feels to just slow down and enjoy the times that dishes and sweeping could be put on the back burner. I was reminded of the more important moments in life that too quickly pass by if we don't take the time to slow down and relish in them. I know that as more little people join our family and as life gets even more crazy, I will appreciate the times that I take NOW to slow down and enjoy this crazy ride!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

i love this...you are so great :) Gracie is the luckiest!!