Friday, November 14, 2008

reasons why i LOVE Pocatello, Idaho

I know I may be partial, and a bit biased...but I was feeling a little nostalgic and thought I'd share with the rest of you some reasons WHY I love Pocatello :)


It was named after a great Indian chief


I once went on a hike with my dog Mooije up this Mink Creek trail...
and learned a lot about myself...


There are lots of squirrels (although, my grandpa would disagree that this is a great reason to love Idaho...haha...)


enuf said :)


I slid down this rock slide 100's of times as a kid at Ross Park


My high school was built in 1892...and we call it "Poky"


Sitting atop the 'I' many many times...sometimes by myself, sometimes with my two best friends and cousins...yelling at people below and almost getting caught by campus rent-a-cops...


Jumping in the Portneuf River with Johnny after a long day of lawn mowing...
Bridge jumping up the river off of a railroad bridge on somebody's "no trespassing" property...


The hills surrounding our little gate city...for those of you who have called Pocatello the "armpit" of Idaho...SHAME ON YOU!


The view of the city from atop Red Hill really is fantastic


Learning to ski for the first time in 7th grade at Pebble Creek...
Skiing there many many times after with my mom and brothers and sisters...


The fact that I found a picture of my elementary school music teacher -- Mr. Obrien -- online...I learned lots of songs from him during those 6 years at Washington Elementary


These are what spuds would taste like if potatoes were marshmallows...
...covered in cocunut
....and albumen agar agar
....dipped in potassium sorbate
and...
...sprinkled with sulfites


There is lava rock EVERYWHERE and it's beautiful!!


I spent many nights with Kyndl and Jessica debating if we were daring enough to really climb to the top of the Mini Dome...


El Herradero Taco Truck -- best Mexican food in town!


What other local newspaper uses the phrase "cheeks like pomegranates"...this photo ran in the September 18, 1952 Idaho State Journal (Pocatello, ID)

"A Grecian girl with cheeks like pomegranates has come to Idaho State College. Maria Skoulfkaris, center, tells fellow freshmen, Ann Reed of Filer, and LaMar Muir of Idaho Falls, that she has never been kissed but expects to be a threat when they study Greek drama."


Caldwell Park -- my childhood playground

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

Brittany, I love this post and the one of the faces of Israel.

Alyssa said...

I'm glad you're a blogger too!

Brian D. Harris said...

I really like Idaho. Mmmm mmmm good. It's pretty much the coolest place ever.

Erin said...

When I was little, I always wanted to climb to the top of the mini dome and slide down it. My brother always wanted to ski down it. Shame we never did. We could have been chased by the rent-a-cops.

nikki said...

thank you for showing me the finer side of pocatello. i'll admit that i was among those who doubted its virtue. my dad actually used to live there--i don't remember where--and my uncle lives in incom. i ran track at simplot's indoor meet when i was in high school, but i would say that you're my favorite feature. :)

Cheryl said...

It's nice to discover someone else who loves Pocatello! (in spite of its flaws--or maybe because of them?) You have great pictures on your blog, too. If you want to read another view of the city, visit walkingpocatello.blogspot.com